Friday, September 9, 2011

New Ventures In My Zenful World





This post was originally posted on the Vintage Etsy Society blog.

Yesterday was the day I opened my booth at a local Antique Mall. It's about 23 miles from where I live. To get there I have to drive the back roads and I love it. An excellent time to think and ponder and look at Mother Natures beauty. Don't you love the word ponder?

It took me two full days of working my dogs off to set up. The booth is very small only 50 square feet and has a back wall and two long walls of lattice and peg board on the sides. The back wall was white with red stripes like a flag which isn't my style. So I picked a lovely pale shade of my favorite color, green and painted away! I also painted the lattice. Now it's fresh and green and waiting for my stuff!




The week before while camping we decided to venture out to a flea market and antique mall near by. I got really lucky and found a booth that was going out of business. I found a great deal on two large shelf units that fit perfectly along one wall. I can arrange my items in little vignettes and put larger items such as bowls on the bottom shelf unit. I also got a rusty green ironing board to display items on and a neat shelf to hang up high to display my cream and sugar sets on and bird items.

My booth is eclectic, kind of shabby chic, kind of French, kind of farmhouse style...  it's a mixture just like me. Kind of sassy, kind of rock n roll but zen like and gentle.




I knew I wanted to get it set up by the weekend because we will be out of town this weekend.  I worked hard for two days straight and accomplished my goal. I'm officially open and ready to sell. I could of listened to the voices in my head, "No not enough time", "You don't have enough stuff", "You won't sell anything", and the list goes on. I conquered my fears and trudged on happy in my heart for doing something I love which is owning my own business.
Around ten years ago I owned a home and garden shop for three years which I loved. Now I'm coming back around to doing something that means so much to me and makes my heart sing! I've been laid off from a "normal" job for 19 months and I don't plan on going back. I now have my Etsy shop and this booth which I hope both do well. Hope is never fleeting and I hold onto it with all of my might.



My words of encouragement for you my dear friends is to not waver in what you value, what calls your name and what makes your insides churn. If it is your passion, keep holding onto it and don't let go until you have created the dream you know that is inside of you. It's like a breath of fresh air and goodness to look upon something you have created and that you made happen with your own hands. Don't give up and don't let the negatives get to you. Be like a busy bee with a smiling face and you will succeed!
Peace and blessings to all of you.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly the booth is gorgeous! Where is the booth located??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! It is located in Bourbonnais in an antique mall there.

    ReplyDelete